The Battle of Overlook
Rolling a character consists of rolling 6 Ability Scores, gaining all Class Features, choosing 1 additional Feat, and then discerning character history and gear.
TDH Rolling System
Roll&Keep 4d6drop; brutal 5
6 Scores are rolled and kept, to be assigned afterwards.
Rolling a score that is 5 or lower rates a no-penalty re-roll.
Acceptable total modifiers are and one score must be at least 14 (BEFORE racial modifiers.)
If you roll too high, your character is too powerful and you must re-roll, but you rate a substantial amount of additional starting XP or a magical item of your choosing, with DM discretion.
If you roll too low, your following roll is subject to a -2 penalty to an ability score, at DM discretion.
Ability Score Role-playing Penalties
Sub13 Int characters are unable to read.
Sub10 Wis characters suffer a lesser psychological disorder
Sub10 Cha characters have +5 difficulty in certain social circumstances
Traditional D&D skills are available. However, skills are encouraged to also be chosen from the 6d6 list. An appropriate support ability score will be assigned.
- Human Dialects: Aundairian (French), Brelish (Gaelic), Karrnathi (Russian), Thranish (Latin)
- Common Dialects: Elven, Dwarven, Rokugani (Japanese)
- Uncommon Dialects: Draconic, Giant
- Rare Dialects: Abyssal, Deep Speech, Primordial, Supernal
- Stuff I won’t use, but technically exist: Argon, Quori, Riedran
- There are no experience modifiers as of 20170101
- Replacement characters are at one level lower of the original.
- If at 1st level, a valid character exists, and a replacement is requested: either the valid character must be played for 1 session OR the replacement character does not gain experience for 1 session.
- Characters starting at a level past 1st rate a number of magical items, appropriate to party strength.
Additional Rules of Note
- Players may not make characters with names starting with A. Or names that rhyme with other PC names.
- Party is restricted to one character with a Leader role. Additional leaders will be modified at DM discretion.
- Int 13 and every +2 rates an additional language learned
- Dragon-blooded humans, Drakatha, and Draconian characters rate the following feats during character creation, taking the place of their background feat and modifying their Dragon Breath:
- Adaptable – Deal 2 types of elemental damage, instead of 1
- Element Strike – Use prior to a melee attack. Attack targets Reflex defense and deals 1[W] additional elemental damage. This ability replaces Dragon Breath.
- Empowered, Lesser – Deal 1d8 dmg, up from 1d6
- Enlarged – Blast radius increases to 5 sq. from 3
- Throw – May choose to “throw” breath with a Range of 10, with a target radius of Area 1
- Strengthen – Trigger: You hit with a melee attack. Effect: Deal +2d6 elemental damage. Damage increases per tier.
- The feats Bolstering and Empowered Breath are still available to take normally.